Saturday, February 12, 2011

Lounge wear?


  • Button-down: Covington via Craigslist
  • Vest: Maurices (previously)
  • Skirt: Sag Harbor via Craigslist
  • Pumps: Naturalizer via Craigslist
  • Pantyhose: Just My Size via Walmart

This was Wednesday's outfit, and it was almost completely created from recent Craigslist purchases. It's definitely a little different from my normal style, but the long wool skirt was really calling to me. Of course, that's probably because after warming up just enough to a relatively balmy 40's and 50's, it was back below freezing again.

I also wanted to take a minute to mention that I love answering reader questions, and a few posts ago, Cara from the wonderful Cara's Closet asked a question: An odd question, and possibly a question you don't want to answer (in which case, ignore me!!), but does your love of women's fashion stretch over into lounge/sleep wear?

First, within reasonable bounds, I will try to answer any question I can, and I certainly don't mind discussing lounge/sleep wear. I actually have been interested in extending my interest in fashion to lounge and sleep wear, but right now, I don't actually have anything like that. My current sleep wear is a pair of a cotton shorts and a cotton t-shirt, both from the men's section. It's actually fine by me, but they are getting a little worn out, and I have been shopping for some more "feminine" replacements. I haven't met with much success though, as most of what I've found either hasn't really inspired me, or has been too impractical, or just looks to... um... "granny-ish" for my preferences. The story is similar with lounge wear: I've looked off and on, but I haven't really found anything that has inspired me.

I think part of this is also because when I do go shopping, its easier to get excited about things I can put into my daily rotation, or a new pair of shoes. I have a similar problem getting excited about basics and layering pieces, and I have a similar gap in my wardrobe for those pieces. There are also many days where I don't get to dress how I want through the day, and I frequently try to dress up in the evenings, so, somewhat ironically, many of the outfits I post on this blog might be classified as "lounge wear".

Again, I love answering questions, so please feel free to email me, or leave them in a comment, and I will try to do my best to answer them in a future post! I tag all my answers if you would like to read past questions. And of course, the pictures in today's post were taken by my fabulous wife.

10 comments:

  1. I think the skirt is cute, but could use a more va-vavoom top. I think it reads just a bit too conservative.

    Ironically, I think 95% of my "loungewear" options are men's clothes. I wear large tees, hubbys 'shorts', and frequently a men's plaid shirt I bought at a thrift store in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the skirt and vest combo. I appreciate the value of a longer skirt this winter too! I wish I had one. Although my legs are too short, you're lucky you're so tall so you can pull off longer skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Love that you paired this look with a classic blue shirt. I think a blue shirt goes with almost any pants when it comes to a business look. Very sharp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this outfit! The length of that skirt is so demure and classy. I love it with the vest too!

    I have to be honest, I'm not sure anyone really gets excited about loungewear. I don't. I buy the cheapo stuff from wal-mart. Or Ross. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah! My question! Sorry for not getting back to your email - I'd read it on my cell phone and thought I'd reply when I was at a computer, but it got lost in the inbox! You did inspire me to get a Blog email address!

    I suggest if you're looking to foray into women's lounge wear, silky/lacy camisoles are a classic. Even when paired with the most manly pair of sweats, it adds a feminine touch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Valentine's Day , any special outfit post for this special day?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has inspired me to take one of my vests to the tailor so I can try a similar look. See, the BF thrifted a three-piece suit, but the vest is too small for him. It was too nice of a vest to be left unworn, so we decided I could try to wear it. Unfortunately, he has a size 42 chest and I....don't.

    Thanks for this motivation to head to the tailor : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. This outfit needs jewelry to break up the classic lines. Something with pearls done in a new way would be fantastic for a necklace (reinventing what would traditionally go with the shirt and vest)and something bright at the wrist.

    I do like this one though. I have zero luck in thrift stores and then you have a collection from Craigslist. It's really unfair.

    For lounge wear I have sleep stuff and I have hanging out around the house stuff. Some of my favorite (although goofy) finds were my grandmother's. She passed this summer and I went through her wardrobe pulling out polyester pj's and muumuus. My mom nearly had a heart attack. I love them though. They make me giggle. They're bright and vintage and insanely comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Someone brought me an Avon catalog. I flipped strait to the jewelry section to see what was there and ya know what? Pearls done in a new way.

    http://www.avon.com/1/1/17494-mark-cluster-luster-necklace.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great skirt. I see so many remix options here!

    I love loungewear. I'm all about loungewear! I like comfy short shorts and big baggy tees. That way, when I go out to get the mail, neighbors think I'm pants-less! Neighborhood drama ... I do what I can ...

    ReplyDelete