Its been a bit longer than I meant since the previous post. One of my guiding decisions with this blog thus far has been to "Be the change you wish to see in the world". One way I do that is by treating what I do as perfectly normal and nothing to be ashamed of, and certainly not worthy of the self loathing and self hatred I have. The other way is that I sometimes whitewash my life as simpler and more positive than it frequently is. The truth is, my life is complicated, messy, and probably wouldn't meet most people's definition of "successful" (and to be extra honest, not even my own ideas of success...). One of the messy parts is that my wife and I sometimes fight. In retrospect, its probably odd to be so reluctant to admit that, since the whole "crossdresser" part of my life is the more controversial and unusual bit. And so it was that after my wife had been working some long weeks and long hours with a lot of stress at her job, we had a... vigorous discussion. And in the heat of my frustration and anger, I suggested we just not go to the party we planned on going to on Saturday. And my wife agreed.
So, on the plus side, my wife had a surprisingly restful weekend to recover. But my own struggles with depression have dominated my own life for the past few days. What's worse is that some would say I shouldn't have much to be depressed about because I have a great story to tell about the one party we did go to earlier in the week. Don't worry, I will tell that in an upbeat post. I don't want to spoil what would otherwise be a great post with the negativity of this post.
Ever since last year, I've had this Halloween built up in my mind, and I just wanted to take maximal advantage of this opportunity to go out without a lot of questions being asked. We also just don't have many friends close by, and no one we knew was having a Halloween party. And that left us to looking at events that are open to the public. It doesn't help that neither my wife nor I are really comfortable with bars and clubs, especially going without a group. I don't have a problem with bars and clubs, but I just usually find myself uncomfortable in that setting even when dressed in a more masculine way. But that's most of what was available, so we were going to work with what we had.
So now that I have mentioned depression, I suppose I should discuss it a bit. Maybe I do a good job of hiding it, maybe I don't, but I do struggle with it frequently. I do want to note that this "depression" is in the non-technical usage of the term, and that I have no idea what a professional opinion would be. I don't want to spend a lot of time on this blog dwelling on it, partially because it would be hard to do a good job of explaining it all and staying anonymous. Frankly, I'm not even sure it would be edifying or valuable to anyone else to have that discussion.
I hope to get back to a more regular posting schedule next week. This blog has been a sort of therapy for me, and I have been amazed and extremely grateful for the universally wonderful comments I have received. (No really, not a single negative comment! I'm still shocked, 48 posts over 2 months, and not a single negative comment.) But even without that, this has been a wonderful experience for me. I am thankful for everyone who takes the time to read this, and I am thankful for every single comment as well. I hope to get caught back up on other people's blogs and to dispense with this bit of drama really soon. I hope everyone has had a great week.
Hey Matt - I've been wondering where you've been! Life happens, so it's understandable that you took a bit of a break. I'm glad you've found the blogging community so receptive. As always, let me know if I can help or lend a listening ear in any way!
ReplyDeleteGlad to "hear" from you, Matt! Take as much time away as you need to feel back on top of things. Lord knows I've had my fair share of down-in-the-dumps moments. Life is stressful--stuff happens! Just know that you have a supportive community to listen when you decide to come back :)
ReplyDeletePeople fight, and I hate to quote romantic comedies I just saw in theatres, but it hit close to home when someone said: to fight with passion in a relationship means that you care. I know this is true for me and it'll be okay! I hope you have a great week/weekend!
ReplyDeleteHi Matt! Know that you are missed. :) I don't think you should ever feel like you shouldn't talk about your struggles, you could never be a downer. Hope your week goes well and I'm excited for your return (when you're ready, of course!).
ReplyDeleteMatt, I have definitely missed your posts and your comments so just know that your absence is noticed! You are known and appreciated!
ReplyDeleteI understand depression all too well. Had it not been for the fact that I struggle with it too, I would have gone on Accutane for my acne years ago but I was afraid it would mess me up more than I already am.
When my {now ex-} husband and I were seeing a marriage counselor, he was put on medication for depression that helped to keep him more even-keeled, but he didn't like the feeling of not having any emotions at all, even the happy ones. He's stopped taking the medication and has found that as long as he's exercising to relieve stress and eating well to take care of his body, his depression isn't as prevalent.
That's really all I can suggest and maybe you're doing that already...but I know exercise helps me a LOT, and so does drinking water.
And know that you can email me any time you need to vent!
You've definitely been missed, Matt. I'm sorry things are a bit down and blue at the moment. Just know that you have a support system of us out here, thinking about you and rooting for you.
ReplyDeleteMatt, I've been wondering where you have been, I have missed you. Don't want to be a downer, but I am on disability for depression and bipolar disease (don't hate me cause I'm crazy...) and I have been having a particularly hard week. So is it okay to say "I know where your coming from?" It is, as you well know, normal to have "vigorous discussions" with your spouse. It sucks at the moment but is healthy in the long run. OMG I sound like Dr. Phil. I have "taken to my bed" with some good books, I would have been so good as a southern belle! And I know things will blow over. I am thinking about you, if you want someone to talk to, I'm here, and I can't wait till your back on your feet again with your beautiful posts. I'm here.
ReplyDeleteWith Love.
Lesa
Always Summer
Ashley - Thank you so much!! :)
ReplyDeleteAppGal - Thanks!! I'm feeling better, now I just have to get caught back up! :)
Cindy - Thank you!! Yeah, we have our ups and our downs here, sometimes they have worse timing than others. Even when you have perspective, sometimes in the moment, its easy to lose it. :)
Hope - Thank you so much!! :)
Melissa - Thank you!! I've known some friends on anti-depressants who discussed similar issues with them as well. I could certainly do with more exercise and eating well. I have my ups and downs, and most of the time it just takes time. We understand most of the things stressing us out around here, unfortunately, a lot of them are things neither of us can do much about directly, but we do the best we can. :)
Bombshell Beauty - Thank you so much!! I'm continually amazed at how awesome the community of style bloggers really are. :)
Lesa - Thank you!! I'm not a fan of the word crazy though. Mental disorders are nothing to be ashamed of, but I can certainly understand how frustrating they can be. And its perfectly fine to say you know where I'm coming from. Trust me, your comments are much better than Dr. Phil, and I'm quite certain there are worse things than being a southern belle. :)
Oh Matt! I'm sorry that you were feeling down and depressed and hope that you will continue to share your feelings and thoughts with us in the future so that we can all rally together and support you. Above all else, I really appreciate the candidness of your blog. The outfits are just a bonus! :-)
ReplyDeleteCall Me Ishmael
Thank you!! It happens to all of us sometimes, but I am feeling better. I really enjoy writing this blog and getting to share my outfits too. Its been absolutely wonderful getting to know all of you! :)
ReplyDeleteHi Matt! I took a brief blogging break last week and an still catching up, so I missed this original post. Thank you so much for your honest and thoughtful posts on your blog. I also have bouts of feeling very blue, so I just wanted to send a word of encouragement your way. I know I have much to be thankful for, but sometimes it's difficult not to focus on the negative. But I also wanted to let you know that I consider you and your wife such an inspiration. It is obvious from your posts that you adore each other, support each other, and are very close. And you even get your hair done together! So glad the hair cut went well and that the salon was welcoming. Hair cuts are tough...I have refused to join BF at his barbershop "Jerzy Kutz." They're alright for his cut, but I'm afraid I'll end up looking like Snookie!
ReplyDeleteI've gotten a little behind too, again. Thank you so much for this comment though! And I can... see how you could have that concern about the barbershop, actually! :)
ReplyDelete