



My outfit
- Dress: Maurices
- Belt: Maurices
- Cardigan: Torrid
- Red tights: JC Penney
- Pink floral fishnets: Torrid
- Pumps: Nine West via Zappos (buy)
- Necklace: Maurices
- Bracelets: Torrid (previously)
- Purse: Nine West (previously)
- Coat: Kohl's (previously)
- Scarf: Kohl's (previously)
- Gloves: Isotoner via JC Penney (previously)


My Wife's outfit
- Top: Maurices
- Skirt: Maurices
- Belt: Maurices
- Cardigan: Torrid
- Tights: JC Penney
- Pumps: Maurices




In the middle of last week, some friends invited us to an impromptu Christmas party last Saturday night. While the party itself was rather informal, and involved good food and board games, we all decided to take the opportunity to dress up for the party. I don't always get a lot of opportunities like this and so I had to get to work planning my outfit. After talking with my wife and my blog buddy Pamela, I narrowed down my options, and came up with this outfit. In addition to my own outfit, my wife asked me to come up with an outfit for her. I pulled together a couple of ideas and laid them out for her to pick from while I got dressed. Now, it wasn't entirely on purpose that we color coordinated, but purple was the only pair of colored tights my wife owns. I ended up loaning her a purse and the cardigan (which was too big, but worked well when it was belted).

We spent the morning getting ready, and since this was a big deal, my wife did a fabulous job on my hair and makeup. After that it was off to the park to take pictures. Please excuse the wrinkles since we had a bit of a drive to get to the park and this dress wrinkles easily. Unfortunately, our photo shoot was cut short because the day was pretty enough that people were out walking in the park. My wife got a little nervous at the onlookers, but my paranoia ended up being more about the dogs. At least one friendly dog seriously considered jumping on my dress with muddy paws. Thankfully the dog did not, and most of the pictures turned out great.

After the park, the plan was to go out to a restaurant, but after my wife's nervousness in the park, we decided it would be best to skip another public appearance. Instead we hit up the McDonald's drive thru. After that we showed up unfashionably early. Thankfully our friends hosting the party were very understanding about the situation.

After everyone got there it was picture time. Someone suggested doing pictures by gender of outfit, and after a brief discussion, someone came up with the brilliant idea of dividing up by whether we were wearing pants or skirts. Since one of the female guests was wearing pants, this kept things roughly even, and I thought it was an especially pleasant way of splitting up. While I would love to post some of those pictures, I didn't get permission from the other guests (although most of them read the blog), and this is already a picture heavy post. But everyone was dressed quite well for the occasion.

The party itself was a lot of fun. We got to hang out with friends that we don't get to see as frequently as we would like. It also meant a great deal to me that we got the opportunity to dress up well and go out for the evening. And while fashion was not the preeminent topic of the evening, the layered tights were a hit, and we discussed scheduling a shopping date with one of our friends sometime early next year.

And with that, I want to thank my amazing and adorable wife for doing my hair and makeup and taking the pictures and being patient with me in general, and I want to thank our wonderful friends for having us over for a wonderful evening and providing an opportunity to dress up.
I love the layered tights! You both look awesome.
ReplyDeleteHey there, Mr. and Mrs. Hot! The pictures are fabulous! I didn't really get the see the tights in this light before. LOVE them! Gah, seriously ... Mrs. Wife is too cute for words. Hi, Wife! McD's? Bwahahahaa! Well ... safety first! That's kinda funny though. :-) So glad to hear you had a great time at the party. It was SO much fun helping you narrow outfits down. Any time, bud!
ReplyDeleteCall Me Ishmael
I love the layered tights look! The purple and olive is a fantastic color combination.
ReplyDeleteYour wife's outfit is too too adorable. The shoes are my fav part of her outfit.
I'm glad to hear you guys got to dress up and go party. It sounds like you had a ton of fun. Your picture spot looks lovely!
But I can imagine it being a bit awkward for photoshoots. I think many fashion bloggers like to try to keep their 'shoots out of the public eye. I know I do. I'm glad the muddy pup didn't jump on those bright white tights!
ahhh I LOVE the layered tights! I thought they were just one pair at first and I was thinking "those are gorgeous," so I was even more excited to see that you had creatively layered them!
ReplyDeletePurple and green are one of the most gorgeous color combinations, I love it! You and your wife are both dressed perfectly for A Christmas party. One fashionable couple :)
Parties are the best excuse to get dressed up!
ReplyDeleteYour dress and entire outfit are great. I really like the layered tights on you! And your hair looks so good! I love those kind of soft flowy waves---I'm trying to get my hair to that length.
And your wife's outfit is so cute! The colors are fantastic--especially the teal blue of the blouse and the purple tights. She definitely needs to wear these again!
Glad you had a fun night out!
So glad your wife was able to make an appearance on the blog. I vote for more appearances!
ReplyDeleteMatt, in your outfit, I really like the unexpected color from the tights. And I think the rest of the outfit is just simple enough that the lace tights don't compete with anything else. And your cognac shoes are definitely keepers -- great way to incorporate the "it" shade of the season.
And I am in love with the bright teal blouse on your wife. It looks fabulous with the deep eggplant color!
both of these outfits are gorgeous! And i love how your wife is borrowing from YOUR closet! AMAZING!
ReplyDeletelooking gorgeous!! LOve those tights! Totally love your blog by the way!:) Im so happy I ran into it! it's a great read and i love your posts and style:) so i'm gonna follow you!
ReplyDeletehope you visit me and follow me back!
that would be amazing!
love
fashionfabrice
have a fabulous day!
Amazing outfit! Your hair looks absolutely gorgeous here! Does your wife want to come style my hair?
ReplyDeleteYou are fab for not being afraid to wear what you want and show yourself off - I bet your great outfit was a hit at the party!
ReplyDeleteHope you and the wife have a fabulous holiday!
I love both your outfits! Those layered tights are so cute! Sounds like a fun party:)
ReplyDeleteShopping and Spreadsheets
Aww, you and your wife look wonderful! Such cute outfits! I especially love your tights and the color of your dress :)
ReplyDeleteLovely outfits. It looks like you and your wife both have the same haircut? Cool!
ReplyDeleteI used to get nervous when taking pictures in public, but I don't so much anymore. The only thing that makes me a little nervous is possibly getting in trouble for taking pictures in public...one of my favorite spots in public is behind the employees-only entrance at the mall, and I constantly see security driving around. I bet he wonders what's up...
Glad you had fun at the party, and major props to you for dressing how you want.
Hi Matt and Mrs Matt...
ReplyDeleteLove the mix of colors, beautiful jewel tones! I also love, love love the lace tights. You are one fashionable fam!
Love to you both,
Lesa
i love your tights!! sooooo cute! you have such a great blog!! :)
ReplyDeleteim going to follow you.
i hope you can follow me back ^-^
katslovefashion.blogspot.com
You both look Fab!!!! I vote to see more of both of you, what a great idea. Love the color and the weave of your wifes top against the darker tones. Really pops! love your tights. Now I'm getting jealous my hub doesn't dress like a woman...lol seems it would make you really close sharing something so personal...I have dyed my hair before and months later my husband would say "did you dye your hair?" ugh...Men! lol
ReplyDeleteI'm obsessed with your tights, Matt! They're so awesome. I wear tights all the time in the winter so I get really bored of them and I'm always looking for new, fun ones. It's so exciting that you got to go to a party all dressed up together! I think you both look great, and wifey did do a great job on your hair, it looks so pretty. I hope you two had a Merry Christmas and a very happy new years!
ReplyDeleteI love this dress and everything you've done with it! Very nice. I just started following your blog today and wanted to say that you have great style!
ReplyDeleteBrooke
http://prettypennymae.blogspot.com/
You've always got the best tights! And these photos are so pretty!
ReplyDeletebesos,
ML
Happy, Happy New Year!
20 YORK STREET
Amazing tights!
ReplyDeleteAlright, you and your wife have convinced me. I'm going to Maurices. I've never been in, but you keep wearing such great pieces from them and the two of you look smashing today!
ReplyDelete-Katie