Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Hair and makeup.


  • Top: Maurices
  • City Shorts: Maurices
  • Boots: Payless (previously)
  • Pantyhose: Just My Size via Walmart
  • Necklace: Maurices (previously)
  • Bracelet: Torrid (previously)

I felt really great in this outfit, but there are some things I'm not sure about. This button down is a little on the bulky side bordering on too big, but it can be cinched with the ribbon in the middle. I have seriously thought about removing that ribbon because I'm just not sure about it (As you can see, my bow tying skills are also a bit off as well...). If removed the ribbon would also be a pain to thread back through the fabric "loop" that contains it. I always enjoy everyone's feedback on my outfits, so definitely tell me what you think about this one!

In the previous post, Pamela from the awesome blog Call Me Ishmael asked a question: how long does it take wifey to do your hair and make up every time you take pictures and post? The answer is that it really depends. I normally wear my hair in a ponytail, and if I'm changing in the afternoon or evening and just going to wear one outfit and stay in, I'll just brush out my hair, but I do play around sometimes and try to fix my hair myself. I really want to be able to do these things for myself. (I also definitely intend to corner my stylist next time I get my hair cut and beg for lessons!) Likewise with the makeup. I want to learn how to do it myself. But most of the time for pictures I just brush out my hair and don't wear makeup (including the pictures in this post).

If we're going to go out though, I usually ask my wife to do my hair and makeup since she does a much better job than I do. I hope to get to the point where I feel comfortable doing it myself when I go out, but on the other hand, my wife does enjoy playing with makeup, so its not too much of a struggle to get her to help out there.

For makeup it normally takes about 15 minutes total. I start by shaving, and that takes maybe 5 minutes and then I take a break to let my face air dry. I should add that recently I have also experimented with using an epilator on my beard as well, but I still have to shave to get the hairs it misses. Fortunately, this experiment with hair removal went better than my last big adventure, I won't say its the most pleasant thing I've done though, but strangely enough it seems to irritate my face less than shaving (especially past the initial usage). I think I must have fairly sensitive skin. Anyway, with that done, we apply concealer for red spots/beard coverage, then use a loose powder foundation, blush, eye liner, eye shadow, mascara, and lip gloss. I could probably get away with less work on facial hair removal if I would use a heavier coverage foundation, but I don't really like any of the ones we've tried, and its been really difficult to match my skin tone on the heavier coverage too.

Hair takes a lot longer. Usually about an hour I think. I have fine, thick, straight hair, so it tends to take some work to get it to hold a curl. The last time my wife curled it in layers and used a spray gel before curling, and then hairsprayed it all when she was done. Its been tricky for my wife to figure out how to style my hair since her hair has a lot more natural curl.

And while this is not exactly what was asked, I do think I should add that the real time sink in getting ready is hair removal. Shaving my legs, chest, face, and armpits, plus using the epilator and tweezing just takes a while. I probably spend 4-6 hours a week on hair removal. So to go out for the evening like this post, I probably spend about 2 hours before getting ready, with my wife helping for about half of that time.

And of course my beautiful wife took the pictures for this post.

11 comments:

  1. I have to admit - I'm not a huge fan of this top. I just think I've seen you in much more flattering things. I do like the boots with capris/city shorts, though, and that's normally a look I HATE. So bravo! Haha...

    and I also have fine, thick, stick straight hair...I have absolutely given up on it ever having a curl, it just doesn't work. While I hate that, I do appreciate having to do very very little to style my hair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the ideas behind this outfit. The mixing of the two patterns, and the fact that both of these typically "male gendered" patterns are on more feminine styles and great. But the top just isn't working quite right. Yes, the ribbon does help to accent a waist, the shirt just doesn't seem to flow below it. I'm wondering maybe the ribbon is hitting you too high? I think your instincts are right on removing it. The bow and the cuffed up sleeves together give it a bit of a sailor girl feel. You could always just tuck the ribbons inside the shirt, and belt it to see if that helps before actually removing the ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally love this outfit! I wish I could still wear my dress shorts to work, but not so much. :(

    I think the bow is cute but you could also wear a belt if you'd prefer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the top would look better with a belt or vest. I love the walking short with the boots! Very cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I really admire how much you do to get ready. Sometimes I feel like I just phone it in, esp. with shaving. I agree that there is just something a little off about this, and I think it's the shirt. I think for me, it would look better with long pants, maybe balance it a bit. Boots are awesome though!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I Love the top! the whole outfit is so pretty, the boots are great--sorry I have been such a bad blogger...a little under the weather...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool proportions on this look! I love those boots.

    Thanks so much for all your sweet comments - they mean a lot to me!
    ox

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm all about pattern mixing these days! I usually take 15 minutes to get ready after shower but I really should put in more effort to it!

    besos,

    ML

    Would love for you to say Bonjour at:

    20 YORK STREET

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question, Matt! As always, appreciate it.

    It seems that this top isn't receiving much love ... Idk, I like it! I think it's cute! I also love it with the shorts and tights (a combo that I rarely wear, but love).

    Hello wifey!!!

    Call Me Ishmael

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the outfit, I think maybe what's off about the top is just that the ribbon is cinching you too high. Probably an easy fix.

    And have you ever tried using a flat iron to curl your hair? For some reason my hair gets way curlier with those (maybe it's because they're usually really hot). If you search 'curl hair with flat iron' on youtube a lot of good videos come up. (I don't know how I ever did my hair without videos on the internet to help, haha)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the checkered print on your cropped pants. And with the boots, you can still wear them in the winter -- great idea! I actually really love the ribbon belt/bow on your top -- though I've never met a bow I didn't like.

    Thanks so much for sharing your makeup and hair routine.

    Like you, makeup is a pretty quick routine for me (maybe 5-10 minutes max, and I do everything from primer to an eyelash curler). It's hair that takes the most time. My hair is stick straight but also has a tendency to get frizzy, so between the shower, dryer and either a curling iron or flat iron, it's a good 45-60 minutes if I really want my hair to look decent -- and I have short hair!

    ReplyDelete