Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New Year's Eve.



Due to a confluence of unused vacation that wouldn't roll over, and Christmas and New Year's being on a Saturday, my wife had a rather long vacation, and so I took the time off to be with her. And between family holiday events, some (still ongoing) end of the year clean-up and clean-out, and spending some quality time together, it turned into a bigger blogging break than even I meant it to be. And now that 2011 is in full swing, I'm even more behind than ever (not just on blogging). But I've missed everyone and I look forward to seeing what everyone has been up to!


However, today's post is not my first outfit of 2011 (coming soon though). While we didn't have plans to go out on New Year's Eve, I decided I wanted to glam it up just a bit for a while, and put together this outfit. My wife did my hair and makeup, and we went out for a drive, bought some drive through dinner, and went home to watch the ball drop in Times Square on TV, although by then we were both in PJ's.


Oh, and in addition to all that, we took some time to take some outdoor shots near our apartment. It was surprisingly warm out, but the streets were mostly deserted. And I have to add, I bought this dress on a clearance rack for $5 several years ago. It was actually one of the first dresses I ever owned, and I still love it, although I need to take it to tailor, the zipper gets hung in one spot, and I think it needs to be fixed before something really goes wrong with it.


Oh, and I have really appreciated the comments everyone left about our Christmas tree and my Christmas party outfit last year, and in particular, Melissa from A Working Mom's Closet featured the outfit in her Favorite Holiday Outfits! post. I can't wait to get started posting some 2011 outfits and see what I've missed! As always my wonderful wife took the pictures (and held my purse and coat)! :)

29 comments:

  1. I was wondering what you were up to! Breaks are good, though, and you're usually able to come back feeling refreshed and renewed after one, so that's a good thing! Hope you've been enjoying your time off! :)

    You look great and very fancy! Hehe. I had that same zipper problem with a dress I JUST purchased...I sent it back.

    Take care! Oh, and to make it official: Happy New Years! I can't wait to see what you come up with in 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look fabulous! Glad you had a great New Year's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous dress and the fact that it was a $5 find makes it even better! Happy 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your NYE sounds very similar to mine- got dressed up just to get dressed up, grabbed food and got home in time to ring in the New Year in pjs. I love this dress, it's got a really flattering fit!
    And I once had that zipper problem on my F21 maxi skirt... and it's been in my tailoring pile forever.
    Happy new year!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look so lovely! I'm glad to see you're back. Happy New Year! Hope you can get the zipper fixed. I thrifted a leather skirt with a sticky zipper. I'm just trying not to yank it too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like that dress! What a great find at $5! Looking forward to seeing your 2011 outfits:)

    Shopping and Spreadsheets

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely LOVE the dress! It is AWESOME! Especially since it was only $5?!? I NEVER find deals like that :)) Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your dress (can't believe it's only $5!!!!) and I love the strappy sandals you wore with it...simply fabulous.

    happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like your shoes||
    Fantastic blog!
    I hope you pass to mine and follow me.
    Thanks =)
    http://mackyfashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you chose white for NYE! I feel like most of us automatically reach for the black but the white just stands out and looks gorgeous! And the shoes are just fabulous, I wish I could raid your shoe collection ..you have some beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you enjoyed all your time off! Totally in love with your dress. Simple and perfect. You look phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been on quite a break myself. Sometimes it's good, to take a hiatus from blogging. It makes me appreciate it more, I think.

    I have to say that I love that your wife helped you get all glam for New Year's eve. It's just fantastic that she's so in support of your interests. Sounds like an awesome marriage. And that's an awesome dress, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you're back! I love the shoes... I usually don't pay that much attention to the brands that bloggers buy, since it's difficult to get them in my small Canadian city. However, I've been in the market for shoes for my wedding, the one time I'm allowing myself to search far and wide, so I did check them out. I laughed when I read Payless, not because of the store itself (I think a good portion of my shoe-drobe is from there!!), but because I'd purposely budgeted for a pair of shoes that would be much more expensive than that as a treat to myself! Oh well, if they're still in stock, I suppose I can justify them for every day life.
    I too spent new years in my pajamas. An odd question, and possibly a question you don't want to answer (in which case, ignore me!!), but does your love of women's fashion stretch over into lounge/sleep wear? One of the reasons I ask is that my lounge wear is frequently gendered more male than female. Or is lounge wear truly a gender neutral territory?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, your New Year's was more exciting than mine! I didn't even get dressed up (like I planned) or stay awake until midnight! Glad you took the excuse to put on a dress you love and some rockin' shoes.
    Happy 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm all for looking glam and staying in! I think you picked the perfect dress, perfect colour for the New Year celebration!

    I wish you all the best in 2011!

    besos,

    ML
    Happy, Happy New Year!

    20 YORK STREET

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy New Year!!! Ahh $5 for that dress? Score! It is the perfect New Year outfit, especially with those cute strappy sandals! :) I'm glad you had fun!
    (http://showersofsunflowers.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  17. cute heels!
    Happy New Year!

    xoxo from rome
    K.
    http://kcomekarolina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice to see you back! Glad you had a nice break, too. you look awesome in this dress...you should wear them more often :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi sweetheart, I love your style! you look fab in your dresses, and I love the way you mix colours :) am following you :) <3 Anika

    ReplyDelete
  20. You look fantastic! I'm so glad you were able to get a little glammed up, even if just for a short time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. $5?! what a find! you look great! love the shoes and necklace.
    happy new year to you and your wife!
    <3 mode.
    http://modestylist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE this dress, Matt! Such a fabulous find & such a cute, versatile piece (and SUCH a steal!) Sounds like you had a lovely New Years :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. That dress is very very cute and an absolute bargain to boot. Wishing you a very Happy New Year from Dublin!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Super cute dress! Happy 2011! I'll be chatting you up on a regular basis soon! My blog should be back to normal by next week! Thanks for all the luv!

    Hugs!!!!!!!!!
    http://achameleonscloset.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy 2011! This is a great dress to ring in the new year, and you got an amazing deal on it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This dress is lovely! I love the design and the cut is very good too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, I LOOOVE this look on you! You look really great in this dress, it is such a flattering shape for you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Matt, try wax paper on the zipper before taking it to a tailor. It may just need some slickness to run properly. If the teeth are off, that's a different story. Cute dress and such a bargain :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful, glamourous dress!! Your legs look AMAZING! :)

    Sounds like you had a great New Years - perfectly balanced, who doesn't enjoy curling up in pjs with the one they love?!

    Keep up the good work! Bex xx

    http://sucker-for-fashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete