Tuesday, September 14, 2010

With a bow on top.


  • Top: Maurices
  • Cardigan: Torrid
  • Skirt: Maurices
  • Shoes: Payless
  • Bag: Maurices

This outfit was another attempt at a more professional look. I think I succeeded. I also think this definitely looks better with the cardigan, but I really liked the sleeves on this top (its one piece with the vest part of it too) so I wanted to show what they looked like too. When I bought this top, I discovered how much I love interesting bow ties like this. I have no idea what the proper name for those are (the collar of the top has long strips of fabric on each side), but I enjoy them and need more. Okay, I don't need more clothes, but hypothetically speaking, if a half dozen more tops in this vein in interesting styles and colors showed up, I would find a place in my closet for them. I would also remind my wife that she doubted me when I bought this top, and how cute it actually turned out. I might get in trouble for posting that.

Anyway, back to the (not) shopping. One of my goals I've figured out for this blog is to try and go through everything in my closet and either try and wear it for an outfit post or decide it doesn't fit or doesn't look that great and put it in a thrift pile, and at least shop less. I won't promise no repeats, or remixes (In fact, I hope to do some), but I will try to go through everything I have. And actually doing this blog has helped me want to shop less (We will not discuss the new shoes I'm expecting in the mail today, or why I needed new shoes, at least until I get to post an outfit with them). I don't exactly wear my clothes outside that much, and this has given me an opportunity to talk about fashion with people who love it as much or more than I do. Oh yeah, I'm also open to attempting to answer questions on the blog, if anyone wants to ask them, I know I've answered some in comments, but I'll be more organized about it and have longer posts, also, I guess I'm getting more comfortable talking writing here. :) I realize this post is a little more talkative than usual, I hope that's okay. Thanks for listening! And of course, my excellent wife took the pictures! :)

25 comments:

  1. I love the bow!!! Super cute and I like it with the cardigan too. I really like the top tucked in, the belt on the skirt is cute.

    And can we just talk about the shoes? SUPER pop of contrasting color! I LOVE THIS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love tops with bow ties on them, too (I also have no clue if there is a proper name for them), but try as I might, I have never thought I looked good in them. I think it's because it covers up too much of my chest and makes me look top heavy - I need some skin to show to break up the visual line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa - Thank you!! I definitely didn't want to hide the belt by leaving the top untucked. And the color of these shoes called out to me when I saw them in the store a while back. I had to have them. :)

    Ashley - Thanks!! If no else knows the name for them, I'm not too worried. I think you would look great in one! Maybe one with a bigger "keyhole" at the collar or something might help? I was wearing a dark colored cardigan partially because I thought it helped to minimize my shoulders. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually like the outfit without the cardigan the best! The color of the top is amazing. I'm a sucker for any type of vest. And let's talk about the shape of that skirt! So great.

    I wish I could say having a blog has made me want to shop less...that, however, is definitely not the case!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you!! I love this skirt, its the only I like this. Don't listen to me about shopping! I talk about less the same day I get an order of shoes delivered. How inconsistent is that? (Ugh, and I'm embarrassed to admit how many shoes I have!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super choice in shoes! I love your bold color choice. It works. The skirt is a fabulous shape on you. I have ...3! tops that tie like that. Two were thrifting finds. I personally love them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! I'm so jealous of people can successfully thrift!! Good to know I'm not the only one who loves tops like that though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course it's okay to be talkative on your blog! (if you haven't noticed, I'm more than a little bit chatty ;)) As much as I love reading all of the blogs that I do, someone told me once that style blogs are a dime a dozen and it's the people behind them who endear readers and keep them coming back. I know that while I love seeing the looks people put together, once I really get hooked on a blog, I'm just as invested in the person and their lives as I am the clothes, if not moreso! Which is one of the fantastic things about this community :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the pops of color in this outfit! Professional but far from stuffy and boring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. im a new follower.
    i LOVE the color of your flats. so so pretty.


    <3 dennica pearl
    - through the eyes of a pearl
    - vintage shop

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary - Thanks!! I wouldn't call your blog too chatty at all, I think its fun! :) And I have to say I'm amazed at the community, everyone has been really awesome. But I also recognize that I do have a couple of aspects that make me a little bit different, and its important to me to not make people unnecessarily uncomfortable, even if its hopefully just an accidental misunderstanding. And I am also trying to balance sharing with the real concern I have to keep some details back in case some of my friends and family in real life who might not understand my interest stumble on this blog (at least they won't know its me).

    Rio - Thanks!! I guess my extreme love of colors is showing. :)

    dennicapearl - Yay! Thanks! (although they're actually heels) :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the idea of wearing everything in your closet at least once (or getting rid of it). I just posted today about my "new" shopping budget, etc and your idea is so great for making the most of what we already have. Must try!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks!! Haha, that's awesome, but I didn't mean to start anything! (Look at me... already planning on posting an outfit with new shoes tomorrow...) One of my problems is that I tend to hang on to things that I want to make work even if they don't fit or look right at all!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I dig the pop of color from the coral heels!

    And I've got some Qs for your perusal if you're so inclined: Who are you style icons? How did you get into fashion? What are your fave shops? What's your fave kind of clothing (i.e., dresses, pants, skirts, etc.)?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks!! I appreciate the questions too, I can't wait to answer them tomorrow! Thank you! (And I'm so glad your blog is back too!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The purple really makes the shoes' color pop. So many cool things at Maurice's.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks! I love shopping at Maurices... a lot... :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those shoes are too cute - I love, love, love bright shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you!! I probably won't rest until I get shoes in every color. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Geesh! You have some mad style! I think I'm going to have to save this pic add it to my inspiration board!

    Hugs,
    http://achameleonscloset.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aw, Thanks!! Getting added to your an inspiration board would be an honor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. :) I printed your pic out this morning and it's sitting happily in my style book! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this outfit both with and w/o the cardi - perhaps a little more w/o. It's professional, cute, and sassy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you!! Sassy is a fun adjective! :)

    ReplyDelete