Friday, November 19, 2010

A peek in the closet.


  • Dress: Lane Bryant (here)
  • Tights: Lane Bryant
  • Pumps: Lane Bryant (here)
  • Pearl Necklace: Torrid

Okay, this week has been incredibly busy, and that was before I got short notice that a friend who I haven't seen in years was going to be in town. But I've missed the style blogging world, and I'm incredibly behind on reading blogs (again), and I've really wanted to post more than twice this week, but we've barely had time for outfit pictures even. I will definitely be trying to take pictures earlier next week, and put some color back in my outfits as well (I can clearly see that I've gotten in a bit of rut lately...)! I'm so behind that I even have two questions to answer in this post. Luckily, they are related... er, well, I'm going to make them related enough to fit in the same post. And of course, questions are always welcome, and I will do my best to figure out some way to answer them (even if it takes a few days to write the post).

First, Lisa from the awesome blog respect the shoes asked here: This is the second pairing I've seen of someone wearing a filmy printed blouse under a LBD - I think it is a great combo and totally works. You look great! (I'm curious (and you don't have to answer if you don't want to) - how big is your closet? Do you keep two different wardrobes?)

The next question comes from Becca who posts at the really cool blog Free Honey, and she asked: Hi Matt! I don't have much expertise in the area of cross-dressing, but I always notice that they have tons of large sized shoes at Nordstrom Rack. I don't know if they have one in your area, but it would be a total treasure trove. I always wondered who was buying up the size 13 cherry red patent peep toe pumps!
Also, while you're taking questions - I have to ask you, do you cross dress all the time? Do you wear women's clothes at the office or in the store or do you generally just wear them around the house. I'm thinking that if you wore you're best clothes out to the stores, no one would think twice about you trying on ladies clothes. Hide in plain sight!

I do keep my "masculine" labeled clothes separate from my "feminine" labeled clothes. Some of this is because I happen to enjoy sorting things: in addition to being sorted by gender label, I try to also keep everything sorted by color, season, type of clothes, and any other category that strikes my mood at the moment. I would say that I have "1.5 wardrobes": I actually have a lot more "women's clothes" than "men's" (uh, I am a male, so I think it's also fair to claim they are all a man's clothes, because I own them...).

In terms of physical space, I have one closet in our apartment dedicated to "women's" clothing, and two racks for my shoes (one for shoes that no longer have a box, and a shelf for shoes that still have their box). I have a shelf of accessories, and a canvas tote of tights and pantyhose. I also have a small stand alone "wardrobe" for my articles of "men's" clothing, and a chest of drawers that contain fold up clothes and underwear of both "masculine" and "feminine" origin.

There are a lot of reasons for the lack of masculine clothes. I tend to have more fun shopping for "women's" clothes and shoes (uh... based on the numbers, too much fun shoe shopping, apparently...). I have also let my more masculine wardrobe atrophy for a lot of reasons (e.g. I work from home most days), and while I do have a plan to balance things out a little more evenly with future purchases (and to just generally have more fun and liberty with male fashions), it takes time to make major shifts in wardrobes. Another reason why things are a little out of balance, and this gets to Becca's question, is that I usually crossdress some every day. At this point, I only have one pair of men's jeans, for instance. I also have some women's shoes that are more ambiguous that I wear frequently, and I actually have a preference for panties (uh... so much for the boxers or briefs question... I hope this wasn't TMI...).

For the type of outfits I post here though, I generally only wear them around the house. I also work from home, and if I'm not meeting clients or running errands or have some other reason to leave the house, I do take advantage of this to dress through the "work day", but I suppose that's not exactly the same as wearing my clothes to the office. I am trying to find more opportunities to go out "socially dressed", and I have some friends that have no problems with my clothing preferences, and that does afford some opportunities to go out.

Since starting this blog I have felt more secure about going outside though. I spent many years dealing with extreme amounts of shame for my interest in feminine clothes and shoes, and I spent plenty of that time being furtive, stealing glances at clothes I wanted, and trying, in secret, to wear them. I'm not interested in that anymore: it's not pleasant, and it wore me down emotionally and didn't help me become a better person. I would also point out that it's not my goal to be perceived as a female. If someone did, I would certainly take it as a compliment, because I know how I'm dressing is "coded" female by most people, and see why someone would think that, but still, it's not why I want to dress this way.

Writing this blog has helped me see that plenty of people would be fairly cool with how I'm dressed. I'm also quite sure that some people would not be cool, but many of those people would also have enough manners to keep it to themselves in most situations. I suspect some people would probably be inclined to make comments, or laugh at me, and I won't lie, that's not something I want to experience, but at the end of the days it's not the worst thing that could happen. I do know that if I go out, some attention would be inevitable: I'm 6 feet tall in flats (and those would usually be size 12 flats...). While I know men and women come in all shapes and sizes (and I think that's a great thing actually!), and I even personally know women who are taller than me, bigger than me, with bigger feet than mine, I still think due to my height and size that I would get some unwanted attention and scrutiny. I also have a few concerns, whether they are rational or not. I worry about that "one" person: the person who will be bothered enough by what I'm doing to take matters into their own hands and go beyond verbal reproach. My other concern is related to where we live. We don't live in a huge city and that means I frequently run into people I actually know in public, and I have plenty of acquaintances and family I could encounter that I really just don't want to discuss this with.

When it comes to shopping, I do have another concern. To my knowledge, crossdressing is not illegal, but dressing rooms are a place where there is some expectation of privacy. My license says "male", and while a clerk, or most shoppers even, might "read" me as female, if one person didn't, and took offense, the perception that I was engaging in a "deception" might not end well. If I'm not trying to pass myself off as a female, then there is no deception, and that just feels more honest and safer to me. I guess I partially think of dressing rooms as a bit like public restrooms: Seriously crossdressed, I would be uncomfortable using the men's restroom, but it would likewise be inappropriate for me to use the women's restroom, and while unisex and "family" restrooms are more common these days, they aren't universal.

It would be nice to go out more often. But I do get opportunities occasionally. It's sometimes a frustration to me that I don't feel like I can just dress up and waltz out the door. If I want to go out dressed up, it ends up being the dominating factor in our plans, and I would rather it fade into the background a little more. And maybe it will as time goes on and we find opportunities and places where it's no big deal. Sharing with other style bloggers has been an amazing outlet for me though, and frankly, writing this blog is probably more fun than going out on a regular basis.

And of course, the outfit pictures today were taken by my amazing wife.

17 comments:

  1. Omg your shoe collection is gorgeous! This is a great post.

    Btw I tagged you for "7 confessions" on my blog. =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dress is WAY cute and I love it with the gray tights and those heels! The heels are fantastic!

    I agree with Megan, this is a great post! I love the peek inside your closet and a little bit more into your life and what you deal with on a day to day basis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, Matt, thank you so much for sharing so much of yourself with us. I'm glad you feel comfortable sharing here, because we LOVE you!

    And now, I'm going back to drooling over your closet... and those shooooes.

    P.S.- ADORE your dress! It's kind of perfect and you can wear it a zillion ways!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That dress is belted in just the right place on you, giving you some very lady-like curves!

    Every once and a while I forget how gender coded fashion can be - today was kind of wake up call. Shopping for my niece proved to be a frustrating activity for my mother and I - she was searching for the frilly, pink, girly dresses, and I was trying to find the opposite: something equally adorable, but doesn't pigeon hole her at an early age. Maybe I'm over analyzing it, but there is just something so odd about the "girls must wear frilly dresses, and boys get to wear fun pants".

    You mentioned some shoes crosses sides of your organized closets, and I think it might be interesting to see if more clothes may do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your closet with us! I'm always so nosy about other people's closets. You have an amazing shoe collection!

    Also I love that dress! It's so classy and looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for this post, Matt, it's really interesting!

    The line about the bathrooms is definitely intriguing to me. At my work we have free concerts on Friday nights are there is this local...umm..."celebrity" for lack of a better word (and really that's the worst word in the world to use to describe this person) that calls herself the Dancing Lady. She is a cross dressing male (very poorly I might add, but that's besides the point) who also identifies as transsexual, but she is SUCH an issue for us (due to her erratic and out of control behavior, not the crossdressing part). Anyway, we're usually looking for ways to be able to remove her without causing a stir if she would later go to the media (which she has, and then said we hate all GLBTQ people, which is far from the truth). Over the summer one of my bosses said we should just monitor which bathroom she went to, which I was ADAMANTLY against...well, turns out she uses the family bathroom anyway. (and, sidebar: She was actually just charged with over 30 charges of vandalism and harassment after slashing the tires of most of the cars in a church parking lot a month or so ago...so she's actually going to be in jail this summer!)

    I actually did a project in college surveying the number of public restrooms, and the male/female/unisex division of them, so I'm pretty aware of the problem that cross dressers and people who identify as different genders than they anatomically are have - I think all restrooms should just be unisex/family...except at gas stations because I'm sure the mens restrooms there are gross! Ha!

    Whoo, that was a book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa, that is some shoe collection. I've always been more apt to buy actual clothes as opposed to heels, but boy, you are putting my collection to shame!!

    Also, thanks for answering my question. I really like how open you are and that you're willing to answer questions. I, personally, don't know any crossdressers, so while I'm totally accepting of what you're doing, I'm just curious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so simply yet perfect! I love the dress and shoes, great fit :) I'm drooling over you shoe collection and rack. Mine are all squished together, I wish they were organized like yours. Thanks for all of your awesome comments, you are always so supportive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was impressed by your shoe collection before, but now I am impressed AND just a little green with envy. Haha. Your Lane Bryant patent pumps are really cute. All business from the front, with a bow in the back for a fun twist.

    And thanks so much for sharing your closet with us and explaining some of the daily thoughts and considerations you have when exploring women's fashion. This was such a thoughtful and thought-provoking post and I really appreciate the time and effort you spend to open up and share this part of your life!

    Hope you and your wife have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing, Matt.

    As for your outfit today, this has to be one of my faves on you. The dress fits you well and is so fun and chic.

    And you do have too many shoes, but you're a guy after my own heart - I love shoes too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those shoes? Gasp. Thud. Gimme. I mean, not my size, but gimme all the same. I'll stuff the toe or something, Idk.

    Thanks a lot for sharing your insight! You mentioned a lot of things that I have never thought of before. In particular, the restroom issue and legal/privacy issues of dressing rooms.

    You sure have a lot of shoes. I'm terribly bitterly jealous right now.

    I always have a million questions to ask you, but I never want you to feel like you're a guinea pig or anything like that ... so, do you really welcome questions? Say yes please ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok your shoe collection totally makes sense to me since I've always admired the tons of gorgeous shoes you have but I totally expected your closet to be more packed then that! I say that based only on seeing u wear what feels like a totally fresh outfit on the bloggy each time.

    I love the tights and the pumps ur wearing here. The details on the pumps are so great! And love the dress especially because it has pockets!!

    As a woman, I totally wouldn't care if a crossdresser used the bathroom or dressing rooms. Everyone has their own stalls/dressing room. But I know not everyone feels like me. It does suck that you live in a small town and ur likely to run into acquaintances :(

    Lorispeak

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the gray and black combo, and your shoes (to quote Rachel Zoe) killed it. I love bow and the unexpected detail is such a beautiful touch.

    I do think it's easy to acquire a lot of pieces quickly when you are in the mindset to shop - hence your incredible shoe collection. You must "shop" inside your shoe closet pretty often. :)

    And I always appreciate your insight into the things that I don't have the opportunity to experience. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like that dress and the overall outfit in general!

    http://www.afashionfixation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just found your blog and I must say that you are awesome! Your fashion eye is right on, and I'll be drawing quite a bit of inspiration from your outfits! But, I was wondering about the Lane Bryant shoes you have on in this photo...are they comfy? I saw them online and was thinking of ordering them, but I don't walk in heels very well (sad, I know)!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aimee - Thank you so much!! And its always awesome to hear that I've inspired someone! I have the shoes in size 12, and they are pretty comfy for the height, and the platform and thickness of the heel help out a lot! Haha, they're definitely a pair I find myself not wanting to take off! I hope that helps, and always feel free to email me or get in touch if you have more questions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy New Year. I'm a new visitor and have been entranced by your blog thus far. I will be copying this outfit :-)

    ReplyDelete