




- Sweater: Target (previously)
- Skirt: Old Navy
- Scarf: Maurices (previously)
- Tights: Lane Bryant
- Boots: Payless (previously)
Black with a khaki skirt has always been a classic combination in my mind, and when I saw eek's post the other day, I realized I hadn't posted a combo like that on here before. Edit: I also realized I was inspired by this outfit Hope posted a while back! And although I was keeping it simple with this outfit, I did want to add this scarf to add a little extra pop to the outfit. (And I tied it like this in case anyone is curious) And I realize I have yet again gone with a heavy neutral palette. I definitely need to remember to bring some more color into my winter wardrobe. I guess there's always tomorrow.
I also thought I would remind everyone that I love answering questions. I also realized that since I have attracted some new readers recently (Welcome everyone!), and also just for anyone who hasn't noticed this, that I always try to tag posts where I answer questions with "q and a". I also received a question from Thrifty Momma on my last post: Not sure if you addressed this but I wanted to say at least you are being honest with your wife!! and I was wondering if you two share clothing and give each other tips?
My wife takes the pictures, reads the blog, and reads the comments. So not only is she aware, she is also a (mostly!) willing participant in my interest in fashion, and that is hopefully clear to anyone reading as well. And for all of her help and acceptance, I'm profoundly grateful. But I do want to address the honesty aspect, since I'm pretty sure I haven't discussed it before. My wife is my best friend, and I always try to be honest with her about everything. The only secrets I try to keep are presents and surprises.
My wife was made aware of my interest while we were just dating, and it was not an easy discussion. To make matters more complicated, at the time I did not think my interest was morally acceptable, so I certainly didn't ask her to think it was okay. It wasn't the easiest thing for her to deal with then as well. It has not been an easy road reaching acceptance for either of us. It wasn't until shortly after our marriage that we both reached a productive level of acceptance, and even still, I have times that I struggle with it. The thing is, I do think its mostly a positive part of our lives now, and fashion is a fun creative outlet for me, and we both accept this. Starting this blog has opened up a safe avenue for me to find other people that share my interest in fashion who also find what I'm doing acceptable. My wife has been thrilled at the response this blog has received, and its definitely helped both of us out a lot.
I have discussed before that we do not share clothes. Our clothing and shoe sizes are just too different for that to work. We do occasionally share accessories though, and my wife has borrowed one of my purses before. Of the two of us, I think I enjoy fashion and shopping more, but we do help each other put together outfits and shop for clothes, and I have picked out entire outfits for my wife on a few occasions at her request. :)
And of course today's pictures were taken by my awesome wife.
I like it!
ReplyDeleteoh, I love that muted print on the scarf - this outfit is very art teacher chic...which I don't think is a real thing, but I totally thought of an art teacher when I saw it!
ReplyDeleteI love this look! Such a classic combination!
ReplyDeleteIt's great to hear that you've received so much from your wife and your readers :)
This is so classy, Matt! I LOVE it. And the boots give the whole look a little itty bitty edge. Am I allowed to be jealous of your legs right now? I tooootally am.
ReplyDeleteKhaki + black is definitely a classic - I reach for those colors without thinking too so I love what you put together. The scarf adds a sprinkle of sassy-ness, which I love. I really enjoy reading your response to reader questions. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the shout out :)
ReplyDeleteGreat classic combination - I love the addition of the scarf!
Great classic combo and I like the scarf! Thanks for the comment :)
ReplyDeleteSometimes a mostly-neutral outfit is classy and perfect. And this one is definitely fantastic! I think the scarf ties everything in so well together (heh, scarf "ties", get it? I'm so not funny...).
ReplyDeleteI find it amazing that you were both still working through the knowledge of your interest in fashion when you got married - that you were able to make that commitment to each other when this one piece of your lives was still unresolved. That speaks VOLUMES about the love you have for each other.
I LOVE khaki and black and you are totally rockin' it with the boots!
ReplyDeleteI think that's kind of a fun dynamic that you and your wife get to share your interest in clothing. Also, I'm really liking your boots and skirt combo. I usually stay away from it for fear that it will make my legs look chubby, but seeing it on someone else always makes me think that it looks good! I need to have a day of playing dress up in my closet and see if I can make the look work!
ReplyDeleteI love the scarf. I never thought to pair black and khaki. That gives me ideas for neutral spring outfits pairing up my khaki chinos. Love the shape of the boots.
ReplyDeleteYou are very lucky to have found someone who has accepted you for who you are. Not everyone is fortunate to find such love, patience, and understanding.
ReplyDeleteAnd, I love khaki and black, too. It's a great contrast without being overly harsh like black and white can be.
Oh! I like these boots a lot. I like the color combo too, especially with the pop of color. I gasped when I saw the last picture ... new scenery for us! :-)
ReplyDeleteHello wife!
Question! Where do you most want to go dressed as a woman? For what occasion? I think you mentioned something about a wedding or ball before. Anything else?
Love the mix of neutrals here! You may feel like it's your fallback outfit, but I find I almost never mix neutrals. It's something I need to grow more adept at, especially living in a place where so many people like to wear so much black, haha.
ReplyDeleteOh, and I love your scarf -- so, so pretty!
I love classic combos and for some reason never wear them! I've been so focused on trying to add color to my life that I forgot basics that look fantastic. Love the scarf...reminds me of a watercolor scarf on qvc by rachel zoe that was on the other day that I am still wanting.....you rock boots! love all your boots!
ReplyDeleteI love black and khaki together! The boots and scarf bring some attitude to the outfit..love it!
ReplyDeleteKhaki and black are two of my favorites, although I seem to have more colors and prints in my closet, wish I could just throw everything out and start over. I keep telling my kids to nominate me for "What not to Wear"
ReplyDeleteYou look great, very classic, this outfit could work in almost any situation.
First off, I love your sassy posing with the one hand on the hip and slight knee bend!
ReplyDeleteSecond, I think this outfit is super classy with the color combo you used, and the scarf definitely adds some visual interest!
Lorispeak
I think it is awesome that blogging has become an open venue for different people with different interests to find each other. With blogging, we can be open, but to the degree we are each comfortable with. I'm glad you found blogging as a way for you to be able to dress up and be creative with your style - and I'm so glad I stumbled on to you blog! :o)
ReplyDeleteYour wife sounds absolutely amazing, seriously.
ReplyDeleteAnd I really like the color combo in this outfit, black and khaki are definitely a classic
I think it's so great that you've been able to express yourself through this site. I can totally see how this wouldn't exactly be an easy thing to let yourself enjoy. Good for you for finding an innovative way to be who you are, I think you're really inspiring. And your wife sounds like such an amazing partner. Hi wife! ANy chance of a guest post?
ReplyDeleteI love your scarf here, it really ties the whole look together and adds some interest. I have trouble wearing khaki in the winter...it just doesn't feel like winter to me. Maybe I need to pair it with some of my black!