Friday, December 10, 2010

Long skirt and no jacket.


This is my only long skirt, and I bought it a while back because I wanted to try a longer skirt, but I'm never sure how to style it. The fabric is pretty heavy and its really warm, which is great when its below freezing outside, but that also makes it a fall/winter piece only. Unfortunately, this will be the one and only appearance of these boots on this blog. I've given them several chances to get broken in, but every time I wear them they squeeze too tight in the middle of my foot, which I think is a pretty weird way to not fit. They left my feet hurting after wearing them a relatively short time. I have 5" heels that hurt less than these boots. But enough with the negatives. I like how this outfit turned out, and I think the skirt worked really well, and I have plenty of other shoes that will work just as well with this.

I'm still behind on all kinds of things, but maybe I can get caught up on my blogs this weekend! This weekend we also have our first (and so far only) holiday party to go to. I won't be wearing anything I would post here, but that's okay, it should still be a lot of fun! And I really hope everyone has a great weekend!

Just as a reminder, I always enjoy answering question, so definitely feel free to ask away. And of course, as usual my magnificent wife took the pictures today.

18 comments:

  1. You look amazing in a long skirt. I bet you could even carry off a maxi skirt wonderfully. That's a shame about the boots though, they're really cute. But if they don't work, don't torture your feet with them. There are other boots in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those boots! I can't believe they hurt, they look totally comfy! Kudos on the long skirt, I haven't been able to find one that looks good on me. You look great in this outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have the build for long skirts, they just don't look right on me. That being said, you are quite the opposite! With your height, it looks great! I love the pop of red too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! That skirt is so great and the pop of red in the belt is fantastic. You look so classy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the skirt. I'm such a fan of long skirts in general, and these plaid patterns feel so right at a time like this (holiday season, of course)! I think the red belt is very festive!

    I hate shoes that don't fit or rub in the wrong places. I have a pair of Frye boots which, needless to say, were pretty pricey. I love them, but they give me blisters! It's weird because they're flat motorcycle boots...I've never had a flat boot give me blisters before. =|

    Enjoy your weekend! Don't worry, I feel like I'm constantly behind on things these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the modern twist on the school teacher look! And nice job on the smooth legs. I'm trying to implement a "warmth over beauty" strategy with my legs, but I'm getting some resistance from the fiancé.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you should invest in more long skirts because this is really working for you! I think it's the proportion of long and dark on the bottom and short and light on the top with the bright belt breaking it up in the middle that really make this stunning. Seriously, fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I ADORE the skirt! I used to have a calf-length red and grey plaid skirt that I wore with tall boots and I thought I looked so good! Plus, even though you did, with a long skirt you don't have to shave your legs. Always a bonus in my book.

    Have you seen if you can get the shoes stretched at all? Sometimes just wearing them isn't enough. However, if they really don't fit and you can't get them to, you're right to stop wearing them. Far too many people hurt their feet with bad shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw almost the same skirt at a thrift store the other day, but I walked away because I wasn't sure how to wear it either. What I'm really wanting is something that is that length but has more volume and an A-line cut. I'm thinking maybe in camel. That's the problem, I can dream up exactly what I want, but it's so hard to find it in real life. Also, you left a comment for me saying that you had some cross-country road trip experience. I'd love to hear about it! We're probably going across the south (my car doesn't do too well in snow!), what route did you take?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm jealous that that you can make that skirt length work for you. And it's so annoying when shoes you expect to be comfy totally aren't.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  11. My inner plaid fanatic is just drooling over that skirt. Love how it flares out slightly at the bottom. And I think you chose the belt perfectly, because the wide width is the perfect proportion for the longer length. You look like you are about to trek through the Scottish Highlands -- this is a good thing, I promise!

    And thanks so much for your comments on my Funny Face post. I really appreciate them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love plaid, so this much of plaid just makes me happy. I shy away from longer skirts because I don't think they flatter me. I think you styled this one really well. You find so many great wears to bust out this red belt as well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE this skirt. I thrifted one almost exactly like it a while back. it's in my 'to wear' pile!
    xXx
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's funny how shoes are, isn't it? No matter what, it all depends on how well-made they are. Either they're great or they're not. I like your crisp white shirt though!

    http://red-soledfashionista.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. p.s. Matt, can I please borrow your boots?!

    =)

    Love this ensemble!

    besos,

    Come say Bonjour at:

    20 YORK STREET

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh geez, toss the boots if they hurt! I really like the pop of red against the neutrals of the outfit. Wonderful!

    Is there anything you want to (and/or wish to) wear that you feel you either can't (just doesn't fit your body or xyz) or just haven't been able to (for whatever reasons) yet?

    Did that even make sense? :-)

    Call Me Ishmael

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I love this! It looks so warm and comfy!! And classic!

    I also read the post below this... My little brother (who is 17, so I guess he isn't that little) was my manmaid at my wedding. I wanted only my closest friends-- my family-- standing next to me on my wedding day. My hubby's groomsmen called my brother "Manmaid Extraordinaire" since he wasn't quite that excited to be thought of as a bridesmaid :)

    ReplyDelete