Its Friday, and I want to have a post, but between a crazy schedule and a flaky camera, it won't be an outfit post! But that's okay, it just means I get to do something different! And now I can't hide behind hiding my face from the camera. Er, what?... Uh, moving on. I want to thank everyone who shared their thoughts on cameras! I mean, who better to ask than people who take a lot of pictures of their outfits for blogs, right? My old camera was from the Canon PowerShot line, and its good to hear that a lot of people also good luck with the line, and so I will probably be going with an updated PowerShot model. And I just wanted to say something about cameras and picture quality. I love to see all the creativity in picture taking with style bloggers! I think its really cool that even the cheapest camera can be used to make art and share self expression. For me, its not about picture quality anymore than its about where you shop! Its can be a lot of fun to have a nice camera, but if you gave me a DSLR tomorrow, I wouldn't know what to do with it(okay, I would, I would put it in point and shoot mode! :) ), and really, I think the hard part in taking a good picture is deciding what to put in the picture and what to leave out. And when in doubt, just take a lot of pictures, one of them is bound to be good eventually! See, its thinking like this that explains why I'm not a professional photographer (oh wait, my blog is supposed to anonymous... or am I? Wait... my wife takes all my pictures... okay, someone in this house is probably not a pro photographer... or are they?). I guess my point is that I don't need a good camera, its just fun to have one, and we're lucky enough to be able to replace the one we have.
Hah, I'm not done yet! A lot of other bloggers (like the really awesome Lisa of respect the shoes) post link roundups from time to time, and since I have been sitting on a growing collection of links I found interesting and relevant.
Gender Labels and Clothing- Switcharoo(via Feministing) - I addition to being really cool, it took me a minute to realize this was not photoshopped.
- What I Wore posted some inspiration for Halloween costumes, and in particular I found her interpretation of George Washington to be an interesting example of how what counts as masculine attire has changed over the times. Also, her interpretation of Karl Lagerfeld is equally interesting.
- She's Got Balls: 12 Creative Women Get in Touch With Their Masculine Side(via Feministing) - This is a really fun slideshow with an interesting range of female celebrities in masculine looks.
- This blog post has an interesting discussion about the site The Art of Manliness, which prompted an enterprising individual to create a website that simply gender-swaps most of the nouns from The Art of Manliness website to create The Art of Womanliness, and the resulting lack of difference makes some interesting food for thought about gender roles. I know there are a lot of diverse thoughts on that sort of thing, so I thought it would be cool to share and hear other people's thoughts?
- Scarfing it down which links to Tying scarves with the Angie knot, and then a comment shares another technique.
- How to pull off a bow tie(via A Pretty Penny - Links a la Mode)
- How to Make Heels Bearable - I enjoy wearing high heels, but I also care about protecting my feet and not damaging them, and so I really enjoyed this discussion about the practicalities of wearing heels. I have some friends who have plantar fasciitis, and its something to be avoided.
On Monday, I hope to be back with a working camera and I will be participating in a Wardrobe Capsule Challenge that the wonderful Meli from The Daily Insanity of a Fashion Addict has decided to do. I hope everyone has a great weekend, and since there were no pictures today, I will just thank my amazing wife for being amazing.
I like your links!
ReplyDeleteAs for cameras, I have a Nikon D3000, and it is a fantastic 'beginner' dslr. Your wife is doing a great job!
Thanks for the shoutout and thanks for all the interesting links to look over!
ReplyDeleteLouise - Thank you!! And my wife always appreciates hearing that! :)
ReplyDeleteLisa - You're very welcome!! I hope you enjoy the links! :)
its not about the camera i think because its just gadget its the person behind the camera that matters :) because in the end photography is the magic our eyes sees
ReplyDeleteThanks!! I agree! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the link - I was surprised and flattered to see my post here!
ReplyDeleteThat's too bad about your camera biting the dust. I'll add in another recommendation for Canon - I have a Canon S3 IS, which I bought years ago (so the newer versions are much more high-powered.) It's not quite a DSLR but has more customizable/manual options than a standard point and shoot.
My mom & sister both have the Canon Powershot 850 and take really fantastic photos with it. I'm tempted to get one someday only because it fits conveniently in your purse, but still is capable of taking great snapshots.
You're welcome!! I thought it was a really nice post, and I'm always looking for new ways to style scarves. I meant to ask if it was okay to link to you, but in the rush of writing the post, it ended up slipping my mind! And thank you for the info about cameras! Very useful to hear, especially to hear good things about Canon! :)
ReplyDeleteI LOVE the switcheroo and she's got balls links. Thank you so much for sharing Matt!!
ReplyDeleteThanks and you're welcome!! I've been waiting for share those since I found them, and just hadn't had the "right" post to do it until this one! :)
ReplyDelete