In this edition of our award winning documentary series on Halloween, we will be discussing the elusive straight male crossdresser in his natural habitat. This is one of our many, many documentaries on Halloween, so please take a moment to consider checking out some of our other award nominated productions, Vampires: Traditional or Sparkly, a field guide for the novice, A Dog Whisperer's Guide to Housebreaking your Werewolf Roommate, A plea for brains: Am I a Zombie or just drunk? Does it even matter?. And don't forget our famous expose, Rainbow Pooping Unicorns and Skittles: An Inconvenient Truth.
Now, as many people are aware Halloween is a time when the creatures of myths and legends take to the streets. Most of them are harmless and merely taking the opportunity to socialize the one time of year no will notice. In this guide, we will be discussing the many types of straight male crossdressers that might be encountered on Halloween. As you will see, the straight male crossdresser can often be found hiding where you least expect.
Types of Straight Male Crossdressers
The Superhero - Let's face it, this crossdresser is subtle and suave. Going as the manliest of manly costumes... that requires tights? His secret is safe, since no one will question Superman, but he has subtly and deftly taken the opportunity to combine his interest in women's clothing with a costume no one will question.
The Gambler - This type of crossdresser takes comfort in the well worn genre/plot trope of the bet-gone-wrong. Stories of bets or actual elaborate bets will be concocted by this crossdresser to be lost, granting him the cover of plausible deniability. And since he is a sporting chap, he will be "forced" to indulge in crossdressing. Hey, he lost the bet, its only "fair" that he pay up.
The Comedian - This crossdresser may be quite skilled in the application of makeup and the selection of clothing, but for the sake of Halloween, attires himself in the "dude in a dress" stereotype and does a horrible job, with clownish makeup, ill-fitting clothes, and badly placed balloon cleavage. After all, he's so bad at it, he couldn't possibly enjoy it, and hey, its all for the gag, right? Right? RIGHT?
The Sexist Poser - Taking his cue from Briar Rabbit, this crossdresser's sexist statements about women's clothing is really a facade. It's his way of saying "don't through me in the briar patch". He will continue to push his unwitting female collaborators until he succeeds in creating a "It takes a real man to wear a skirt" moment, in which his taunting and snarky comments give rise to the challenge that he don women's clothing to "prove his manhood".
Rocky - Horror Picture Show of course. This crossdresser uses the cult popularity of this movie to crossdress in the manner of its hero, Dr. Frank-N-Furter, and thus disguise his true intent. One must be careful however, since this category overlaps with Space Aliens who are visiting from Transsexual, Transylvania. Please see our documentary on extraterrestrial, Long Distance Dialing Plans and the Andromeda Galaxy, for more details.
The Winner - This crossdresser takes no prisoners for Halloween and just goes out in his finest feminine fashion. This crossdresser will frequently seek out costume contests, as the prize money and competitive aspect provide cover for his fitted clothes, nicely done hair, and expert makeup. However, a quick calculation of the costume cost will frequently reveal that the prize money is a tiny fraction of the expenses he has incurred. If challenged, this crossdresser may resort to vague speeches about a "job well done", and "anything worth doing is worth doing right" and wander off muttering a litany of excuses until he can find conversants who are less inquisitive about his attire.
Possibly Confused for a CrossdresserBank Robbers - Despite their predilection for using pantyhose as a mask or even donning drag to confuse the hidden cameras, bank robbers are not known, in general, to enjoy crossdressing anymore than they are likely to be former heads of state.
Drag Queens - Drag queens are, at their core, performance artists, and predominantly homosexual. While the occasional straight drag queen, and even the ever elusive female drag queen are known to be encountered, drag queens are very likely providing you with a creative form of entertainment, celebrity impersonation, and poking good natured fun at social norms of gendered behavior.
Eighties Hair Metal Bands - These are not crossdressers. Currently, they are an unclassified specimen, which after a rise to prominence in the eighties and sudden mass extinction event have recently seen a recurrent rise in their numbers. This specimen is also known to destroy hotel rooms. Just enjoy their music and don't ask too many questions and everything should be fine.
Oh my gosh oh my gosh, I was just cracking up at my desk - this is so funny! Haha, and I'd imagine it's true, too! It's giving me some suspicions about all the frat boys who dressed up as girls in college, though....
ReplyDeleteSo which version are you going to do for Halloween? I think I'll be rocking old sweatpants and a t-shirt on the couch - I'm not a huge fan of Halloween!
Thanks!! Glad to help encourage your suspicions too! ;) I will be going all out to do a good job and I was relieved to find out one of the parties we're going to has a contest! And I understand: Halloween is a lot more interesting to me because of the opportunity to go out and mostly be unnoticed! :)
ReplyDeleteYou are hilarious, this post is making my day. Thanks. :)
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see which costume you end up with but do keep us posted.
This is so witty, I loved reading it. My favorite line:"After all, he's so bad at it, he couldn't possibly enjoy it, and hey, its all for the gag, right? Right? RIGHT?" I also loved the fake titles of previous works throughout...
ReplyDeleteHope you have a great time pulling together your own costume -- can't wait to hear about it!
JoAnn
Sidewalk Chalk
Loved your post! Yeah, I love Halloween for dress up.
ReplyDeleteThis is HILARIOUS. I can't wait to see what you put together for Halloween!
ReplyDeleteI laughed so hard reading this! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do for Halloween.
ReplyDeleteMatt that was honestly, truely funny! Love the great funny pictures :)
ReplyDeleteHA! This is awesome! I love how you have analyzed every possible incarnation of the crossdresser on Halloween. Can't wait to see what you'll be wearing. I will go as a mom who steals Reeses peanutbutter cups out of her son's trick or treat bag...again!
ReplyDeletelol, you made me smile on a bad day, thank you!
ReplyDeleteSeriously awesome post. I can't wait to see your costume!
ReplyDeleteHehehe! Oh Matt! I'm so glad I found your blog a couple of weeks ago. This post is hilarious! I especially love the 80s band!
ReplyDeleteCall Me Ishmael
"Eighties Hair Metal Bands"
ReplyDeleteBy far and away my favorite part. What a funny post!! Goodness. My stomach hurts from laughing. Your superhero comment is spot on.
Whatever are you planning on being this year? I know you mentioned a few costume parties coming up! And thanks for the bag advice! Such a good point about L.L.Bean's quality.
Wow! Thank you everyone so much!! I'm truly happy everyone enjoyed this post so much!! :)
ReplyDeleteWill you be sharing your halloween costume here too? :)
ReplyDeleteLorispeak
I will most definitely be posting my Halloween costume!! :)
ReplyDeleteyou wrote this>??!! On my - you have to submit this to a magazine or paper or something its hysterical and spot on!! I teach 6th graders and there are always a bunch of boys coming in as "dude in a dress"
ReplyDeletenyc is the ultimate location for halloween, the parade is incredible and the costumes are so beyond my imagination. I'm going to wear an orange dress this year and I'm feeling pretty "smart" about it. My creativity sux.
Oh my goodness -- this was one of the funniest blog posts that I have read...ever. You have an amazing sense of humor and a wonderful writing style.
ReplyDeleteBTW, I would love to read any of the other Halloween-themed documentaries, especially A Dog Whisperer's Guide to Housebreaking your Werewolf Roommate. And I always knew that unicorns had a dark side. I think there must be some "controlled substances" contributing to all that rainbow poop!
spiffy - Thank you so much!! Wow, 6th graders? Ironically, I was scared to death of anyone seeing me in women's clothing at that age, much less going to school, even just to be a clown! And I can imagine that NYC must be an amazing place for Halloween costumes! Your costume sounds fun!! I hope you have a great time! :)
ReplyDeleteJamie - Thank you so much!! Hehe, I was definitely thinking of some former roommates when I came up with that title! I guess other people have had similar experiences! ;)
Matt, this was so funny! I have definitely encountered a few of these guys during Halloweens past.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much!! :)
ReplyDeleteTHIS made me snort. And I needed a laugh! :) I've missed reading your posts, hopefully I can start keeping up again soon!
ReplyDeleteThank you!! I'm glad it gave you a laugh! :)
ReplyDelete