Monday, October 11, 2010

BBCA 7: Retail therapy.



This outfit is part of Melissa's Blogging for Breast Cancer aWEARness challenge. I know I only said I would do it for a week, but I had a little more pink than I thought, so I figured I would just keep on going a bit longer. This outfit is actually from a couple of weeks ago, but I never posted it. And yes, its with the same vest and button down as another recent post. I told everyone they would be seeing it again soon. :)

Last week Lori from the awesome blog lorispeak made a comment that inspired this post: wow. I was wondering if you remixed at all! I'm amazed at how many clothes (and especially awesome shoes) you have! I do have to say, it's really fun to remix and see who you can make items take on a totally different feel. I like that you remixed these shoes into this outfit. It'd be a pity not to show them more than once! :)

Walmart is open 24 hours a day. I know this because for many years I experienced intense shame over my interest, and it was the only place I felt I could shop. I would wait until the quiet hours of the night and go out and "browse" the sections next to the women's clothing until I could work up the courage to go look at clothes. If no one was around, all the better. I did not know my size and I was way too timid to ask to try anything on. I would repeat the waiting near the cash registers until lines were short or empty, and while the cashier ringed me up, I couldn't look anyone in the eyes, and I just hoped I no one would get in line behind me. One of the last times I ever did this, a man started following me around, so I left the store, only to get confronted in the parking lot. The man was a plain clothes store security person who was convinced I was shoplifting. I managed to convince him I hadn't taken anything, but it was a seriously unnerving experience.

Of course, in that period of my life, even when I bought things, I would only keep them a few days. During this period, the shame and guilt would pile on, and I would reach the breaking point, and too ashamed to dare make a return, I would throw away my purchases. Luckily, many of them were from Walmart, and at least they were cheap. Later on, I would discover this is a pretty common problem among people who crossdress.

Thankfully, I'm past a lot of that shame. I now have a closet overflowing with shoes and clothes, and I haven't thrown anything away in 3-4 years, and I have no plans to do that again. But during this period, I kept asking myself the question, "Why do I have these clothes?" I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, but these are not my "work" clothes, and these aren't my "going out with friends" clothes. Most of the time I spend wearing clothes, I'm wearing them for other people. I finally realized that these clothes are for when I dress for myself. Unfortunately, getting dressed to the nines to watch TV with my wife is not the height of fulfillment. Even worse, now that its "okay" for me to shop, I've started shopping a lot more. I have joked at times that I'm "making up for lost time". And there is possibly some truth to that, I didn't really get to enjoy shopping or dressing for myself until 4 years ago. I had never owned a dress until 4 years, I had never even owned a pair of heels that actually fit.

This post is about shopping, but its impossible for me to talk about shopping without talking about my background. I was shopping too much, but that was really a minor problem. I dress for myself, but I didn't have many people to share that passion with or opportunities to use my clothes, and so I guess I found myself "doubling down" on shopping for more cute stuff. So while I have not gone on a shopping ban, one reason I started this blog was so that I could share the clothes and shoes I already have. Here, while I'm not exactly dressing for other people, I am sharing a creative outlet in clothing with other people. But this blog has actually helped me shop less. Instead of retail therapy, I guess I have blog therapy now. Unfortunately, it did take a while for me to learn my size and how to dress, and what I actually liked and how to talk about it. I'm still learning. So while I love the idea of remixing, one goal I decided early on was that I would force myself to go through all of my shoes and all the clothes in my closet before letting myself do a lot more shopping. In the process, I thought I might be able ask any readers for their thoughts if I was thinking about getting rid of something.

Unfortunately, this is one part philosophizing and one part consumerism, but I certainly don't want to the promote the idea that anyone needs to shop or not, and where to shop, or not. My wife and I are lucky in that we can afford this indulgence on my part, and one of the things I love most about sharing with other bloggers is the diverse backgrounds they come from, and their unique experience and the context in which they live.

So when it comes to actually shopping in stores, I'm doing better. I no longer hide from the clerks, although I am always with my wife. I think a couple of the clerks think I am the most understanding husband ever. Although they occasionally express surprise at the sizes we buy. Unfortunately, since a few stores only cater to women, I don't always get to try stuff on in the store. Although I did have a wonderful experience at a Nine West store once. The clerk was not only extremely helpful, but explained that she has helped plenty of male customers shopping for themselves (I guess Eddie Izzard was right, "there are more of us than you know"). At the end of the day though, most of my shopping is done online.

I hope this was interesting! And I will be remixing for Meli's Wardrobe capsule challenge next week, and I will be doing some remixing off and on, because I always want to make a great outfit! And I will still be shopping, but I also want to eventually put all my clothes on this blog too! Dressing for yourself gets lonely too, and this is something I used to be ashamed of, but now I enjoy and I enjoy sharing it. And I guess one big part of this blog really is about self acceptance. I had a reader suggest that, and I have realized how true that is. Thanks for reading!

I really enjoy writing "question and answer" posts, so always feel free to ask questions in the comments! I also have to thank my wife and another good friend for the feedback and proofreading on today's post. And of course, today's pictures were taken by my amazing wife!

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for the candid post, though we both write fashion blogs I have always enjoyed getting to know the men and women behind the clothes. :) I am sort of trying to remix clothes as well but the emphasis of my blog lately has been on the newer purchases...hopefully I'll get over this phase shortly and start getting creative with the clothes I already have.

    That Maurice vest is TDF, there was a Maurice near where I went to college and I used to shop there on occasion. I am sad that's no longer a part of my life because it looks fantastic on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super interesting post from you, I really enjoyed reading it. It's quite obvious that even now that you accept yourself more than you used to in your Wal-Mart days, there are still problems you have to face on a regular basis, and sometimes you can't change them. I'm glad you had the courage to start this blog because I, for one, really enjoy it! <3

    Oh, and I'm a sucker for vests, so I absolutely adore your outfit.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post - It really makes me appreciate how "easy" something as simple as shopping has been - I think it's really admirable how comfortable you are with yourself and your interests now.

    Also, I really like this outfit - it's totally my style!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm dying over those shoes, I love them! This whole outfit is adorable!

    Thank you for posting this and sharing this background! I really do love getting to know you better. I'm so glad that you've been able to become more comfortable and confident.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great outfit and wonderful post. It was really interesting to read your point of view on dressing. Lucky for us that you feel confident and comfortable sharing yourself with us! I would imagine that it is SUPER hard to shop in a store when you never know what others are thinking. Judgement is too powerful for its own good--ugh. Thanks for being so honest with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this post, Matt! It's great to hear how you've grown to be more comfortable with your interests and I'm so glad you share your wardrobe with us. It's definitely a killer one, at that! And we're shoe twins! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Matt- thank you for such a great post! I am glad that you feel much better about yourself and your interests now- you should not be ashamed of yourself, not ONE bit. It's interesting that at one point you threw away your purchases- what a terrible thing to go through, it's like you were trying to destroy part of yourself in a way.

    You put together lovely outfits- and I am glad you started this blog. I love getting to know more about you and your story :). And I wish we could hear from your wife- she has got to be one awesome gal ;) Funny how the clerks think YOU are the awesome, nice, supportive husband- when it's actually the other way around lol ;)

    And yay for layering! Cute outfit :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always love hearing what you have to say, Matt! And of course, fabulous outfit as always-- I especially love that skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elle - Thank you!! Honestly, I'm kinda in the same boat, except I've been accumulating new purchases for a few years, and have only now got to share them with other people! Maurices is definitely one of my favorite places to shop, so I totally understand! (Although they have online shopping now...) :)

    Ashley / Two Eyes in the Mirror - Thanks!! This blog has even helped with the problems I face, the tricky thing is realizing that some of them require the world to change, and learning to accept that as well. Friends that understand have been extremely valuable too, real life and virtual. :)

    Ashley / Ashley Getting Dressed - Thank you so much!! Its been a long road to get this comfortable, but every little thing helps, and certainly, there is more to life than shopping, but I have learned a whole lot from reading other blogger's perspectives too, I guess everyone has their own challenges and privileges, and I certainly try to recognize the role my own privilege plays in plenty of other areas of life. :)

    Melissa - Thank you!! Its definitely nice to go out and about, and I am feeling a lot more comfortable, but its certainly a complicated situation at times. :)

    AppGal - Thanks!! It certainly makes shopping more interesting. I do hope my honesty does some good. And I love hearing other perspectives on all of this too! :)

    Sadie's Momma - Thank you!! I really do enjoy sharing this interest, and being shoe twins totally rocks!! :)

    Meli22 - Thank you so much!! I could say more about the throwing stuff away, but its apparently pretty common among crossdressers, and its certainly frustrating, and there were a lot of non-productive behaviors and bad judgement that went along with it all. Certainly a form of denial, at least, and in some ways, very self-destructive. And I totally agree that my wife is one awesome gal! I am talking to her about writing a post, and she loves reading comments like yours, so I think I can talk her into at least a short post! :)

    Mary - Thank you!! I'm glad you enjoyed reading it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you weren't lying when you said that your response to my remixing comment was complicated. Matt, I'm so proud (and I'm sure that's weird coming from someone who knows you solely through your blog) of you for coming so far in accepting who you are and sharing yourself with us. I'm glad you are more comfortable than you used to be in shopping for clothes, and that you've found a a community that shares your passion for fashion :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much!! (And really, its no weirder than the whole experience of my blog! Actually not weird at all to me. My life is... strange... I suppose...). You all are really so awesome! Thank you so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for this thought-provoking post, Matt. I have always taken for granted how easy it is to shop. The only thing I have to worry about is feeling badly when I try on many more items (usually at Anthropologie) than I end up purchasing. And I very much enjoy that you are using your blog as a way to move away from retail therapy and take a second look at what you already own. In my first month or so of blogging, I noticed that my shopping was increasing quite dramatically -- at much too fast a pace for my closet and my wallet. In part, I was inspired by what I was seeing on other bloggers...but in part, it was also pure consumerism. I've since tried to scale back on my shopping and approach blogging as a way to be inspired by style in general...and not by shopping.

    Thank you again for being so honest, earnest, and forthright...and for giving me some wonderful food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you!! I have definitely continued to feel the urge to shop more too, since starting my blog, and I think for similar reasons as you describe. But I am feeling better on a lot of things, and the blog is ultimately helping me in a lot of ways, and that does include less shopping in the long run. Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Again, with the matching and cute pops of color! You kill me.

    "Most of the time I spend wearing clothes, I'm wearing them for other people. I finally realized that these clothes are for when I dress for myself. Unfortunately, getting dressed to the nines to watch TV with my wife is not the height of fulfillment."

    You can call me insane, but I really did tear up while reading this post. Your honesty and bravery are so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this menswear-inspire feminine look!

    Thanks for the insight about yourself...

    ReplyDelete
  16. genevieve, sandbox romance - Thank you SO much! You're not insane at all! I'm flattered really! I'm just glad this post is interesting and hopefully helpful to others! Thank you! :)

    eek - Thank you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely post. I can't imagine how difficult all of that must have been for you. I'm so happy that you are more comfortable and confident and it's fabulous that you have such an amazing wife. Style and clothing is such an incredibly personal choice. Everyone should be able to wear whatever they want without being judged.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much!! My wife is definitely an amazing person, and I owe a lot to her! And I agree that wearing what you like without judgment would be the best! Thank you!! :)

    ReplyDelete