



- Cami: Maurices (here)
- Hoodie: Maurices
- Skirt: Old Navy
- Rain boots: Payless (here)
- Bag: Target
- Umbrella: Crabtree & Evelyn
- Ribbon: from a spool of ribbon bought at Walmart
I don't always follow trends, but I do get inspired by them because cute trendy stuff shows up in stores. Well, okay, style blogging is changing that for me a little bit, but that's not my point. Some trends, like rain boots, end up making me want them all the more because I can't find something that works for me (well, in this case, by "work", I mean "fit"). So finally, I found this pair in my size, and *cough* 4 *cough* pairs of shoes later, my rain boots were safely in the mail. And the next day, I see this post by Kendi, and well, I thought "That's a pretty cute outfit and my boots will be here soon, I should try something like that!", but ultimately, the real credit for this outfit is a friend of mine who posted a complaint on Facebook a few days later. She was musing about the trend of all the people wearing rain boots with shorts and skirts, and pointing out that the water will just trickle down your legs into your boots. And I thought, "Hey, I was just thinking about wearing a something like that myself!" So for my friend, who I know is reading this post, I just want you to know, it was raining pretty hard, and I didn't get a single drop of water in my boots!
And yes, I'm outside!!! I do go out sometimes, this is actually my second trip outside since I started this blog (other trip is here even though I ended up not getting pictures outside). This is from yesterday: my wife had a surprise day off work, so we decided to do some shopping and meet up with some friends. I noted, to my surprising and unusual delight, that the weather report called for rain, so I was all about doing a quick change to get these pictures. And if nothing else, I promise I'll try to go outside again on Groundhog day to see if I see my shadow.
Okay, so yesterday Meli22 who is super cool and runs the totally rocking blog The Daily Insanity of a Fashion Addict asked some questions. And I have answers!
Is that your real hair, a wig, etc? How do you wear your hair when dressed this way vs. how do you wear your hair daily? Yes, this is my real hair you're seeing. I grew it out several years ago for many reasons, and one of them did include my interest in fashion. I didn't really accept this part of myself at the time, but hey, I was making progress. I almost always wear my hair up in a ponytail when I'm not dressed like this (also, I usually go without the ribbon too). In fact, this is one of the few times I've had my hair up for an outfit like this. A few months ago, in the search for a new hairdresser, I finally worked up the courage to ask for a slightly more interesting hair cut and got some layering put in, but alas, our most excellent hairdresser has found another job and left no forwarding address, so now I have to be courageous again. For special occasions, my wife helps me style my hair with a curling iron and other magical hair products (I'm still learning when it comes to hair and makeup!)
Okay, wow, if you're still here, I really appreciate it! Long post. Now no one will ask any more questions! Ack. Well, for the brave, ask away, I will still try to answer them! Okay, its also Friday (yay!), so I hope everyone has an absolutely wonderful weekend, and no rain (unless you want rain! I got my rain boots picture, so now its okay to be sunny with a slight chill so I can break out my other boots, tights I bought yesterday and everything else!). I'll be back with another post on Tuesday! And of course, my lovely (and patiently getting rained on) wife took the pictures (Hey, she got a box of chocolates too!).
I love this outfit, and your 'brelly is so cute! And can I just say I am jealous of your thick, dark hair? I've always wanted to be a brunette! The grass is always green, I suppose!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much!!! Haha, I totally understand! I've wanted to try being blonde for a bit, but the thought of having to explain THAT to people reminds me of why I felt brave getting some layering put in!
ReplyDeleteAwww! That's what came out of my mouth when I first started looking at these pics. Super cute Matt!!! Wonderful outfit you have on and that's cool you have long hair! I feel like you with trends, don't always follow them, but I'm inpsired by them sometimes. I don't consider this a long post at all btw! Glad your sharing your thoughts with all of us!
ReplyDeleteHugs,
http://achameleonscloset.blogspot.com/
This post made me smile BIG time! I LOVE those pictures, and the artful ways you cover your face lol! :) Thank you so much for the shout-out, you are waaay too sweet!
ReplyDeleteThanks for answering my question- and I love seeing more of your hair lol! You have very pretty hair!! The ribbon is just plain cute ;D
LaToya - Thank you!! You're so great! Thanks for reading! :)
ReplyDeleteMeli22 - Thanks so much!! Your blog is really cool, how could I not give you a shout-out? :)
I'm not gonna lie, I pretty much only wear dresses/skirts with my rain boots! Pants just get all bunchy, and they look so cute with skirts! Love this whole look, and smart thinking repaying your wife in chocolate haha! :) Also, now I'm going to have that song(Umbrella) in my head all day!
ReplyDeleteThank you!! Sorry about getting the song stuck in your head, but it was on in the mall we were shopping at yesterday, and I just knew what I had to title this post! (And don't tell, but I would have given her the chocolate anyway.) :)
ReplyDeleteI love, love, looove those rain boots! My rain boots are probably one of my favorite wardrobe pieces-- and yours are adorable! And you'll probably guess what I'm going to say in response to the whole 'long post' thing-- keep 'em coming! The person behind the blog, no matter how stylishly they're dressed, is always the best part of the blog :)
ReplyDeleteAww, thank you!! I will definitely try to keep it going, but I need questions to answer! Its a lot easier that way. And I agree, its always about the people. :)
ReplyDeleteMan, it seems like it's always the best hairdressers who leave and don't let you know where they are going. My absolute favorite one told me she was leaving the salon I was going to for a new one a few years ago, and she had me write down my name and address so she could send me her new location when she switched. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting to get it...
ReplyDeleteLove to know that you go outside! :)
And...CUTE boots, I have yet to get any and they've been on my shopping list for about three years. I also really like your umbrella AND your hair ribbon! I haven't done that in ages, but you might have inspired me to try it out again!!
SUPER cute! I love the boots. If it's raining, it just makes sense to wear rainboots. I don't see any sense to not wear shorts/skirts with it if it's hot outside.
ReplyDeleteI love your pair. Black with a little pop of color. I still haven't caved to buying a pair of rainboots (yet).
I've also yet to find the perfect hair stylist. At least not one I can build a good relationship with. Someday! Hope you can find a good one.
Ashley - For real about the hairdressers! Ugh. I'll go ahead and add that sometimes, I'm the most fabulously dressed fast food drive thru customer you'll meet. Thanks so much!! I consider it an honor that I might inspire anyone with my style. :)
ReplyDeleteMegan Mae - Thank you!! I totally understand, its so hard not to cave sometimes. Sounds like everyone has trouble with hairdressers, good luck to you as well! :)
Hi Matt! You're the first man I've seen fashion-blog besides myself. I thought I was alone out here.
ReplyDeleteLove your blog. You have a good sense of style and your outfits are cute.
I'm sorry you don't feel comfortable showing your face. That's too bad, but I understand. The world is sometimes an inhospitable place to people who are different.
Thanks! Glad you like my blog. Hiding my face isn't really about my own comfort. Its more about my friends and family in real life. And besides, I'm having fun, so its all good. :)
ReplyDeleteso love the rainboots. Great colors.
ReplyDeleteThank you!! :)
ReplyDeleteHeh. Perhaps I should buy my husband a box of chocolates for taking my pictures. I should be nice to him every now and then. :)
ReplyDeleteI seriously want a pair of rain boots now! Although since we're getting into fall (um...sort of. Florida doesn't really have a fall) it's going to rain less so I probably shouldn't buy any yet.
I know how you feel with the hairdresser thing. I haven't found one that I like. I usually end up just going into a Haircuttery and just asking for a trim. I'd love to get something dramatically different from what I've always worn but every time I ask for their suggestions, they end up putting more layers in my hair. I've had layers, I'm bored! I've had it cut short to my shoulders too and that doesn't work for my lifestyle as a mom anymore (takes too much work). But no one can tell me what to do with my hair!
Whoops, long comment. Sorry!
Thank you so much!! Long comments are awesome!!! But it does in fact rain in Florida? See! Justification! ;) And I'm sure your husband would like a box of chocolates. (Seriously, who doesn't like chocolate?) Are there hair bloggers out there? Maybe we need to find them and get them to give all of us some hints? :)
ReplyDeleteHi Matt! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I totally love your umbrella btw. I'm always looking for fun interesting umbrellas :)
ReplyDeleteI also love the colors in your outfit, and I personally think rain boots with skirts and shorts etc totally work. I've never had water go down my rain boots. I have Hunters which stick pretty close to my calves, so that might be what helps. Plus, I think of the skirt as more of a mini umbrella for my tootsies :) In my mind, boots are more about trapsing fearlessly through puddles than about protecting from water falling from above!
Thank you!!! Well, it seems the consensus is in, my friend is just going to have to consider the weight of the evidence on this entry! I like the idea of the skirt as an umbrella too! These boots are fairly tight too, but I'm just glad they fit at all. :)
ReplyDeleteLove your umbrella!
ReplyDeleteDon't forget to enter my accessories giveaway!
Melanie@UnravelledThreads
sometimes i find hard to keep with the trend too , well its always nicer to start the trend than to follow the trend :)
ReplyDeletethis is so cute esp the rubber boots
can i share your umbrella ela ela eh eh lol
Melanie - Thanks!! Oh yeah! I saw that! Thanks for reminding me! :)
ReplyDeleteJasmine - Thank you so much!! And I totally agree, its way better to start a trend by wearing what you like! :)
Alright, I have to admit, I thought you were wearing a wig at first - but now I feel jealous like Ashley!
ReplyDeleteI'm also digging the rain boot trend but personally I'm not sure I'd wear it with skirts (but then again I'm like a cat to water). I've been on the hunt for a nice not-too-cutesy pair for a while but have been too cheap to invest - except I'm cursing myself when it rains and I've got a load of nothing!
Thanks!! Yeah, as trends go, this one has an eminently practical element to it. :)
ReplyDeleteI have also wondered about the rain in the boots thing.
ReplyDeleteYep, my feet stayed dry, and it was raining pretty hard. Thanks for dropping by! :)
ReplyDelete